Sunday, February 15, 2015

Building LEGO® Technic pull-back cars



When I was sourcing bricks for the Fire Station I came across various used LEGO® Technic parts which I tend to stock up on as I have found them useful for certain LEGO® building techniques, most importantly I always thought having a descent collection of Technic parts would be awesome for the boys to have a go at building machines and mechanical toys once ready.

With the opportunity to pick more parts I decided to explore Technic as a resource for me to build contraptions and toy vehicles so that the boys will be exposed to the idea of making their own toys.

Various LEGO® Technic parts picked
The pick offered a good range of the fundamental Technic parts, various gears, gear boxes, beams, bent beams, axles, friction/non-friction pins, connectors, cross blocks, axle connectors, bushings, panels and much more. Along with a differential case I managed to get various types of tyres as well.

The range of Technic wheels from the pick

The best part about the pick was getting hold of 3 Technic pull-back motors. This meant that I could whip up pull-back cars. The official current pull-back vehicles are LEGO® Technic 42033 Record Breaker and Quad Bike 42034 which look really fun but for now until the boys are ready it's will be our DIY approach. With the range of wheels above we should be able to build various types of basic vehicles no doubt.

LEGO® Technic Pull-Back Motors


ADVERTISMENT


So with the pull-back motors in hand I decided to put together our first Technic pull-back car. It's fairly basic and is somewhat a cross between a buggy and roadster. 

Our 1st Technic Pull-Back Car

Overall a simple build and I'm sure it could definitely be more elaborate than its current design but the idea here is to keep them minimal and relatively simple for my eldest to discover and maybe recreate later on or make something of his own if he likes.



My eldest son enjoys the whole pull-back car idea and the concept of us being able to build cars on our own seems cool to him. Though for it's just me building them.

Top/Front View of our 1st Technic Car
Side view of the our first pull-back car
With the spare wheels and various remaining part we potentially have another 1-2 smaller pull-back builds, below is a pic of another basic frame of a smaller pull-back setup.



So while I know the boys are hardly ready for the world of Technics just yet, I must say that for me through this experimentation with Technics and this basic build it's starting to make me look at the Technic Formula Off-Roader 42037 which features some nice suspension to tinker with, even the 24 Hours Race Car 42039 and the 4x4 Crawler 9398 would be awesome sets to feed my build therapy.

Nonetheless even if this Technic endeavor deepens with me at lease once the boys get much older they will have an awesome stash of advance building Technic parts to whip up some machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and Feedback on Articles and Builds are welcomed.

Tobysan

Share this now: